Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Weakness

I love “Strengthsfinder 2.0.” If you haven’t read this book or taken the strengthsfinder test than please do that. Lately, this book has me thinking about how we overcome weaknesses. I have been talking to my friends and associates about this a lot, and so I thought I’d share my thoughts.
We all have a lot of weaknesses. We’re not so good at more things than we’re good at. That’s not a diss, that’s just a fact of life. Maybe we should start with just being able to admit that. Take a deep breath, and repeat after me: “I am a flawed person. I have weaknesses.” There you go. That wasn’t so hard, was it?
When we’re talking about weaknesses, remember that there is a huge difference between character weaknesses and talent weaknesses. We have to approach them in a different way. Today, we’ll look at how we overcome weaknesses in our skills and natural talents.
Okay, when you’re dealing with your natural skills and talents, it should be obvious that you aren’t good at everything. I’m no good at math. It’s true. I stink at it. I’m not real good with science, either. Some of you might contend I’m no good at writing either (and you’d have a legitimate point). Anyway, I think that if you’re honest with yourself you’ll find that you’re better at some things than others. So, how do you overcome those weaknesses?
You don’t.
It’s that simple, and that difficult. Our natural tendency is to work harder on those things we’re bad at in order to become better. As Strengthsfinder 2.0 pointed out, that’s probably a waste of time you could spend becoming the best at the things you are good at. And still we try to overcome it. Read the book, you’ll see what I mean.
In the meantime, stop trying to be good at everything. And when you’re dealing with young leaders, please don’t be trying to make them good at everything, either. God has given them gifts and talents that fit them and their purpose. Don’t waste their time trying to “fix” their weaknesses.
And don’t say “weakness” as though it’s a bad thing. It’s usually not. The more a student believes that a weak spot is a bad thing, the more apt they are to pour tons of time and effort into something they may not ever be good at. What a waste.
And please remember, that as Paul pointed out, God moves in our weaknesses. Sometimes those weaknesses are there in order to bring glory to God when He uses them to do mighty things.
Instead of focusing on weaknesses, focus on your strengths. You’ll find building them much more rewarding for yourself and your students. You’ll also find yourself much more equipped to do the work God has for you to do. And that’s rewarding; Much more rewarding than trying repeatedly to improve in an area that I’m just not gifted in.
Training Tomorrow’s Leaders Today,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment