Monday, March 1, 2010

Why I Need to Exercise

Want to get some discipline? It’s not easy. But it is useful. Discipline is essential to life. It takes a lot of discipline to get up every morning and go to work. It takes a lot of discipline to get up and go to school. It takes discipline to stay in the Word, to pray, and to take time out of your day for others.


If you want to beef up your discipline, start doing something you don’t want to do. Sounds simple, right? In my case it’s exercise. I hate exercising with every last shred of my being. But it’s good for me, so I do it. I don’t do it as often as I should, but I do it. In fact, as I write this I just finished exercising.

My point is this. Those of us who are running leadership development teams are constantly looking for ways to help our kids put some discipline in their lives. Here’s a good way to do it, even though it’s painful. Some of your kids don’t like to read. Have them start reading (preferably their Bible). Some of your kids don’t like doing the dishes. Get with their parents and have them start doing the dishes.

You get the picture, but here are a couple of thoughts as you ponder doing this:

1. Don’t have your kids do something that is useless just to instill discipline. They need to be doing something useful. They have to see the correlation between discipline and doing things that need to be done, no matter how they feel about them.

2. Make sure you don’t just talk about this and then let it go. Follow up. Even better, get parents involved. I’m sure parents would love all the help they can get instilling discipline in their students.

3. Make sure you are participating just like your students are. Make an online diary or some other public form of accountability so your students know that you’re in it with them.

Question: How do you instill discipline in your students?



Training Tomorrow’s Leaders Today,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment